Sunday, June 3, 2012

∞ π

My roommate told me to start a blog, so I am. There are 14 weeks left of this summer, and I want to bake at least 1 pie for each of them. Of course, I might bake more than that, but who knows? The ultimate goal is to become a Pie Master. Pies are intimidating. Being good at baking pies makes you automatically a domestic goddess, which is probably one of the best things a person could be.

I already baked the pies for week one. The first was a dutch apple pie, which I've made two times in the past. I used a slightly modified this recipe from Food & Wine.


Dutch Apple Pie, modified from Food & Wine
The Crust:
1 1/4 c all purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 stick unsalted butter, cold and cut into small cubes
1/4 c water

The Filling:
6 apples, peeled, cored, and sliced thinly or cubed.
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 c sugar
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/2 tsp ginger

The Topping:
1/2 c brown sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 c flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
6 tbsp butter, softened

1. Combine the 1 1/4 c flour and 1/4 tsp salt. With a pastry knife/2 forks/a food processor, cut in the butter until the flour is evenly moistened. Add the 1/4 c water and mix again until evenly moistened. Flatten dough into a disk and put in the refrigerator. Chill for at least 30 minutes.

2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

3. In a large bowl, combine apples, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon, cloves, and ginger. I would recommend peeling/coring the apples after putting the dough in the fridge as that will allow it to chill long enough without making you wait.

4. Combine brown sugar, 1/4 tsp salt, baking soda, and 1 c flour in a bowl. mix in the butter using two forks until everything is evenly moistened.

5. Roll out the refrigerated dough into a 13" round. Put in a 9" pie dish and spoon in apple mixture. Add topping and bake for an hour. If the fruit isn't bubbling but the crumble is cooked through, cover with foil and bake for another 10 minutes. Allow the pie to cool for as long as possible, but it should be good to eat within an hour.

Notes:
I used 6 Braeburn apples because that is what I had and it was great, but I generally do 3 McIntosh and 3 Granny Smith. The pie should look really tall as the apples will reduce and the height will shrink significantly after being baked.

RIP Pie. He loved to laugh.

1 comment:

  1. I AM THAT ROOMMATE. THAT ROOMMATE IS ME.
    I feel so honored. Also nice background choice.

    ReplyDelete